Sunday, June 7, 2009

Chapter 16

A few weeks had gone by and Karen was at her desk in Ray's office. She was typing a couple letters and she stopped when her eyes wouldn't focus. All of the sudden her head began to spin and the dizziness took over. Karen put her head in her hands hoping to stop it when Ray came out of his office.

"Karen, could you...are you ok?" he said looking at her.

She slowly lifted her head up to look at him "yeah, I got dizzy all of the sudden and couldn't focus my eyes on the computer."

"You really look pale. When did you eat last?" he said handing her the bottle of water on the desk.

"It's been a few hours, but I'm not hungry yet."

"I think we need to let the team doctor look at you, just to be safe."

"Ray I'm fine, besides I don't want to worry Sidney with the playoffs starting in a few days."

"How about I ask him to come up here while the guys are still practicing? That way Sidney won't know until you tell him."

"Ok." Karen started to work again while Ray went into his office to call downstairs. He came out and told Karen he would be up in a few minutes. She smiled and kept working until he came up. Karen hoped it was just a fluke but then again, she had been dizzy a few other times. Five minutes later, Dr. Burke came into the office and went over to talk to Karen. Ray told them to move it into his office for some privacy.

"What's gong on Karen? Ray said you felt dizzy."

"Yeah, I was looking at my compuer screen and my eyes wouldn't focus then my head began to spin and I just couldn't see straight for a few minutes."

"Is this the first time that it's happened?" he said taking her blood pressure.

"Here at work or at home too?"

"Both."

"First time here at work, but I have felt dizzy like this a few times before at home. It's usually right before I lay down to go to sleep or when I get up from sitting or lying down."

"When was the last time you ate?"

"Before I came to work, so 8:30a."

"Karen? It's almost noon. You should have had a snack or something by now."

"I usually do, but I wasn't hungry for anything today."

"So then you do eat a snack between breakfast and lunch?"

"Yeah, I have something at the desk. In fact I have things in my drawer stocked for when I feel hungry." Karen looked at his expression "what?"

"Can I get personal?"

"I think I already know what you might want to know and I am almost a week late."

"Are you pretty regular?"

"Like clockwork."

"Maybe you should go see your doctor to confirm it and if that's not what is making you dizzy, he'll be able to go from there."

"Could you not mention any of this to Sid?"

"I won't."

"Thanks Dr. Burke."

"Anytime Karen" he said leaving Karen sitting there for a minute. Her thoughts were running a mile a minute in her head about this. She knew a couple days ago when she hadn't started yet that she could be pregnant again, but didn't want to realize it. Karen got up and left Ray's office telling him she needed to go get something for lunch. He told her to take it easy and if she didn't feel like coming back, she didn't have to. Karen thanked him but said she just needed to eat and would be back in an hour.

Sidney was done with practice and was getting dressed from his shower when he knew Karen would be leaving for lunch. He met up with her in the hallway and they left to get something to eat. Everything had gotten back to normal between them before the whole cheating episode and it felt nice that it all got swept away from their minds. Karen tried to avoid being alone with Jordan and eventhough she didn't have that sexual urge towards him anymore, she didn't want to take the chance of anything sparking up between them.

"How was practice?"

"Good and I may go back to lift a little while you finish up."

"Don't stay around on my account" she said smiling.

"It's all about you babe, need to work on some stuff to make me more buff for my woman" he said flexing a little at the table.

"Well your woman thinks you look great no matter what."

"See, one reason I married you...you're easy to please."

"I'm sure the neighbors would agree to that on most nights."

"You feeling ok, you look a little pale baby."

"Yeah, I'm fine. Just needed some fresh air and some lunch." Sidney took her hand and kissed the inside sending a chill up Karen's spine. They got their food and ate with minimal conversation. After lunch, they headed back to the arena and Karen went back upstairs to finish her work. Sidney worked out a little bit then called and told her he would see her at home later.

At 3p, Karen left the arena and went to WalMart before going home. She bought a pregnancy test and some things to make for dinner. Karen made a lasagne and had it in the oven when she went upstairs to see what was going on. She did what she needed to do and sat there waiting for the results to peak through. Five minutes later, Karen sat on the edge of the bathtub and looked at the stick.

Sidney heard the oven timer go off and he turned it off, then shut the oven off. He didn't know where Karen was and went to look for her. He headed upstairs and walked into their bedroom. Sidney saw her in the bathroom sitting on the edge of the bathtub and just staring at the floor.

"Hey, the oven timer went off so I shut the oven off and left dinner in there. Are you ok?" Sidney saw her shake her head no "baby, what's wrong?" he asked kneeling in front of her and seeing what she was holding. "Is that..."

"Yeah it is."

"And?"

"It's positive."

Sidney took the stick out of her hands and looked at the result, smiling. He saw her tears and wondered what she was thinking about all this "baby, this is a good thing. Why are you crying?"

"What if..."

"There is no what ifs."

"But..."

"No buts either. We will do every precaution and make sure this one lasts, ok?"

Karen shook her head yes "I'll call Dr. Kelley tomorrow and have her run another test to be sure."

"Do you want me to go with you?"

"You don't have to. I know you'll have practice."

"I think they'll understand and I can always go afterwards and stay later. Come on, let's go eat and we'll finish talking about this." Karen smiled as he leaned in and kissed her then helped her up to go eat dinner.

All night Karen couldn't help but dream the worst about everything. She didn't get any sleep and would hope after going to the doctors, she would have her mind set at ease.

At the doctor's office, Karen couldn't stop bouncing her leg with her nerves. She was glad that her doctor was able to squeeze her in for an appointment early but she was still scared of the possible outcome.

"Karen? Dr. Kelley will see you now" one of the office assistants said. Karen smiled and got up with Sidney telling her he would be out in the waiting room until she needed him. She kissed him before going in and getting situated.

"Hi Karen. Danielle said you need a pregnancy test done."

"Yeah. I've been dizzy off and on and a week late. I took a home test and it came out positive and I just wanted to be sure because...."

"Of what happened the last two times. I understand, so let's take some blood and then do an ultrasound to see if its true."

"Sidney is out in the waiting room. Can he come in for the ultrasound?"

"Absolutely. Let's get the blood work done and see the results and then we can go get him." She got the blood she needed and had it sent down to the lab. With Karen's doctor's office in the hospital, it took less time to get blood work back. "While we're waiting, how about we talk for a few minutes. You seem scared to be pregnant again."

"I am. I don't think I could handle losing another baby. Sidney does know about the previous times, my mom told him but for him to get excited about this one and then have the same thing happen, I'm scared to find out what may come of it."

"Karen, even I wasn't sure to the reasoning behind the miscarriages, but you are a healthy woman. I don't see any reason why you can't carry to term. You have no diseases or infections that would have caused it, so we'll have to take it easy and make sure this one lasts."

"Ok." They sat and talked for a few more minutes before the phone rang and she was given the results of Karen's test. She asked if Sidney could come in for the results and Dr. Kelley sent for him. Sidney came in a minute later and sat down beside Karen, grabbing for her hand.

"It appears my test agrees with the at home one. You are pregnant Karen."

She was able to let out a small smile to where Sidney couldn't contain his "do you know how far along?"

"Not by this test, but why don't we get you up on the table and do the ultrasound to find out." Karen nodded and got on the table, lying back and lifting up her shirt to her breasts. The doctor poured the gel over her stomach and proceeded. Sidney held onto her hand, waiting patiently. "Ok, Karen let's see here...." she said pointing to the screen "do you guys see this peanut shaped image?" they both nodded "that's your baby."

"Really?" Sidney said with a hint of disappointment.

"Did you think it would actually look like a baby this early on?" Karen said smiling at him.

"Well no, but I didn't think it would be peanut."

"It is a normal picture of a fetus at this stage and from this I can tell you that you are about 5 weeks pregnant." Karen thought back but knew exactly when it was but Sidney was having a little more trouble . Karen got scared wondering if he would think it wasn't his and possibly Jordan's. "Any questions?"

"Not from me" Sidney spoke up.

"Karen? You alright?"

"Yeah, I mean I'm already further along then the last time but..."

"Baby, no buts remember."

"I know."

"Karen, I know you're scared and everything but we will take this one day at a time and at any sign of a cramp, or dizziness, anything....call me, ok?"

"Ok." Dr. Kelley cleaned up her stomach and made them a picture of their baby to take with them before they left.

They headed to the car and Karen knew Sidney was going over in his mind about the time frame.

"Sid, the night my dad went into the hospital and we went back to clean up my parent's house and stayed the night...it was about 5 weeks ago. I can see the wheels turning in there and the baby's yours not Jordan's."

"How can you be so sure?"

"Because I was never off my birth control with him. After everything that came to head, I got stressed and forgetful not taking it while we were apart. So if you think about it..."

"It is mine, but it's not that I doubted it, I wanted to be sure."

"I know. If it was Jordan's, I would be months pregnant and not just a few weeks."

Sidney stopped her before she could get into the car "we're going to have a baby" he said smiling as big as he could.

Karen matched her husband's smile "I know" she said leaning in to kiss him. They broke apart and then headed to the arena so Sidney could get some practice in and Karen could talk to Ray about her situation.

7 comments:

  1. OMFGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG updateeeeee

    ReplyDelete
  2. yay!!! Baby!!! So cute! Keep it coming!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So glad you updated, and I am lovin' that she is pregnant!

    ReplyDelete
  4. OMGGGGGG
    Update thiss!!
    it's amazzinggg

    ReplyDelete
  5. YAY! I love it! You have to update soon, it's been too long! I can't wait to see where this is going! Great!

    ReplyDelete
  6. AHHH YAYYYY!!
    WOOOO! SHE'S PREGGGGERS!
    aw, sid will be SUCH a perfect daddy!

    ReplyDelete