Saturday, May 29, 2010

Chapter 33

More than an hour later, Sidney hadn't heard anything. He couldn't sit there anymore and called the one person to get him through this.

"Dad" Sidney said trying not to cry but it was near impossible.

"Sid, what's wrong?" Troy said sitting up in bed concerned.

"It's...um, it's Karen."

"What about Karen?" Troy said making Trina sit up to listen "Is she alright?"

"No, dad she went into labor early and now she...something else happened and she's in surgery again."

"Oh God, how's the baby?"

Sidney actually smiled through his tears "they're fine and healthy, early, but healthy."

"That's wonderful to hear son" he said telling Trina. She just got a confused look on her face as Troy began talking again until she snatched the phone out of his hand.

"Sidney Patrick, did you just tell your father 'they' were fine? What did you mean by that?"

"Apparently Karen was carrying twins and wanted to surprise me in a month."

Trina pulled the phone from her ear to tell Troy "Karen had twins." They both smiled and finished taking to Sidney. He told them everything he knew and then saw Dr. Kelley come out. He hung up telling them he'd call them later, getting up to meet her.

"What happened, is she alright?"

"She's stable right now. When I saw what the problem was, I knew what I had to do. Her uterus teared Sid. I must not have seen it when we performed the C section because it was near but not part of the incision I made. I got it stitched up and it should be good until she heals. The only thing is she might need more than a week off her feet until it completely heals. If something happens before I could get to her, the end result might be worse."

"As long as she ok now, I will do whatever to keep her immobile until she's better. When can I see her?"

"I'm going to put her in ICU just for tonight. She should be fine but just for safety I'd feel better if she had eyes on her round the clock."

"Please tell me I can be with her tonight?"

"I'm sorry Sid. I can let you sit with her for an hour, two will be stretching it but not any longer than that."

"I'll take what I can get. Thank you again Dr. Kelley, really. I appreciate everything you've done for Karen tonight."

"Karen's a special lady and a wonderful patient. If she needs anything, let me know."

Sidney called his parents and told them the updated news. By the time he got off the phone, Karen was moved into ICU. They allowed him to sit with her, but under the circumstances, no one would kick him out if he just happened to be there the rest of the night....which he did. The morning came and Sidney was curled up in a chair beside Karen's bed. He came to when he heard a wimper come from her and sat up, taking her hand.

"Baby? Karen, wake up baby."

"What happened? Why am I in more pain?"

"Do you remember anything last night?"

"I remember getting up to go to the bathroom but after that it's not clear."

"You collapsed and began bleeding again. They rushed you into surgery to get you fixed up."

"What did they do?"

"Why don't you let me see if Dr. Kelley is still here and let her tell you."

"Why won't you tell me?"

Sidney took a deep breath before speaking "she found a tear in your uterus. It must have happened during the C section but she didn't know until it opened up more."

"But everything is ok now?"

"Yeah but you have to be off your feet for a little longer than a week."

"I think I can handle the trade off" she said with a soft smile.

"How can you be so positive about this from what all you've been through?"

"I have to get better to take care of our children Sid. We have our family and that's what you wanted."

"But I wanted you to want that too" he said somewhat dejected.

"I guess in a way I did. I know everything that happened with Jordan did happen for a reason of not being ready to have kids, but after I got pregnant all I could imagine was raising them with you. I began to see that kids were an important part for our marriage to survive."

"I think I'm going to get the nurse, you seem delirious" he said with a smile.

"I just know this is where I've always wanted to be...with you and our children."

"I don't think I've ever wanted to hear anything else in my life" he said leaning in to kiss her. When he pulled away, he pushed the hair from her cheek and looked lovingly into her eyes. Sidney stayed with her for another hour before reluctantly leaving her and heading home. He had practice to get to but he didn't really want to go. He got a shower and headed to the arena getting bombarded by questions from the guys before practice. He told them what happened and then got his head into practice.

A couple hours later, practice was over and Sidney was waiting for the media rush to get to him about the upcoming game and what happened to Karen.

"Sid, what can you tell us about what happened with your wife?" Dan Potash asked him.

Sidney thought about what Karen went through but smiled "yeah, she went into early labor but her and my children are doing great right now."

"Wait, your children?" Rob Rossi asked quzzically.

"Yeah, apparently Karen was pregnant with twins and wanted to surprise me. Trust me, I was beyond surprised when I saw them." Sidney took a few more questions about what happened and then asked for privacy while Karen and the babies get better. They focused on questions about the next game before leaving him alone so he could go to the hospital and see them.

Before Sidney could leave, Jordan was standing by his car waiting for him.

"Sid, can we talk for a minute man?"

"Sure" he said not really wanting to get into with him.

"How's Karen and the babies?"

"They're both good" he said putting his stuff in the car "why do you want to know?"

"Believe it or not Sid, we were friends before it all blew out of the water and I do still care about her that way."

"As long as it's the only way you care about her."

"I can't explain why I can't let this attraction for her go man. She's got something special that just makes you want to love her."

Sidney tried with all his might to not hit Jordan again "I'm going to tell you one last time Jordan, leave her alone and get over your feelings for her. You will never have any kind of chance with her again, get it through your head."

"I may never get a chance with her again, but I won't ever stop loving her" he said before walking off and getting into his car. Sidney just stood there and took a few deep breaths before heading to the hospital to see Karen. When he got there, he was told she was out of ICU and in a private room. He went to find her, going in to see her sitting up and looking better.

"Hey gorgeous" Sidney said walking over to her and giving her a huge passionate kiss.

"Mmm, what happened?"

"What do you mean, nothing happened."

"Me thinks you had a little run in with Jordan."

Sidney let out a long breath "could we not talk about that right now?"

"No. Let me guess, he asked how I was and said he was concerned because he still had feelings. You told him to get over his feelings because you would never let him anywhere near me, but then he came back and said he would never stop loving me."

"Damn woman, did you get part of my brain surgically implanted into yours?"

"No" she said laughing and caressing her cheek "I just know you. Is that what happened?"

"Pretty much, but I will agree with one thing he said...you do have something special to make everyone want to love you. Have you gotten to see the babies yet?"

"No, Dr. Kelley said I could see them before I get released."

"You're going home today?"

"She can go home whenever you want to take her Sid" Dr. Kelley said coming into the room.

"Give me the papers to sign and we will leave right now" Sidney said standing up.

"Slow down Sid, I already signed myself out and was just waiting to get dressed when you showed up."

"Well Karen, I want to see you in two weeks. Just call the office or find a day to pop in, either would work and remember..."

"I know, no heavy lifting and stay off my feet as much as I can for a couple weeks."

"And Sidney?"

"I know, no sex for six weeks" he said like a 5 year old getting punished and confessing to his crime making Karen and Dr. Kelley laugh.

"In hockey, those six weeks will fly by Sidney."

"Yeah ok."

"I'm going to leave you two alone and if you have any problems or questions, call me day or night." Dr. Kelley left them alone and Karen asked Sidney to get her clothes from the chair so she could get dressed. She asked Sidney to help her but he had to promise to be good or she would have to kick him out of the room. Sidney tried but he stopped when Karen winced as she laughed too hard. They got her dressed and a nurse came in with a wheelchair to take Karen out, making one stop on the way.

Sidney wheeled Karen into the room and she started to cry seeing them in their incubators. She saw the tubes and monitors and had to wondered if everything was alright.

"Baby, you ok?"

"Yeah, I just can't believe they're both here."

"I couldn't either when I saw them."

"When Dr. Kelley told me I was carrying twins, my fears doubled not kowing what would happen."

"Hey" he said kneeling down to her "they are getting stronger and nothing bad is going to happen to them. It was just a shock to their little bodies how they came into this world."

"But they're here now and we just need them to get better and take them home."

"That's my baby thinking clearly. How about we head home and we can come back a little while later?"

"Ok" Karen kissed her fingers and placed them on the glass "bye my precious babies, we'll be back." Sidney wheeled her out and then outside. He put her by the door as he ran to get the car to pick her up. After he stopped the car, he got out and helped her into the passenger seat, being careful as he drove home.

No comments:

Post a Comment